<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 12, 2004

I keep thinking about John Steinbeck and his book Travels with Charlie--I loved that book. He really liked Montana and said it would be perfect if it had an ocean or a coastline. I am sort of thinking backwards here. The Seattle area would be perfect if there were a lot less people--in other words like Montana. We have the coastline and the gorgeous mountains but we have traffic and crowds. In Montana, there is always a parking spot and it seems like you have 26 hours in the day because it never takes you more than 5 or 10 minutes to go anywhere AND you never have to wait in line. After 25 years, I am still not used to a lot of people and I go out of my way to do things at odd times to avoid crowds. Since my time is flexible, I manage fairly well.

People ask us how we can stand the weather here. I could use a little less darkness (we are the same latitude as Novia Scotia) and cloudiness but I love the weather here. I wouldn't trade our winters for Montana's winters ever. It was always such a struggle to keep pipes from freezing and to keep cars going and to worry about icy and snowy roads. Give me a drizzly, gray day and a traffic jam on I-5 over a fishtailing car on the 5 minute icy trip to the grocery store anyday!!