<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, January 24, 2004

Interesting--the frontpage article in the Seattle Times today is like an answer to my Jan.10 posting. In there I said that I wasn't aware of any place in Seattle where only "special" people are allowed. I was mainly talking about restaurants but evidently the Emerald City is "catching on" to the "big-city scene" with a couple of clubs with VIP rooms for the cool people. In particular, the article talks about Club Medusa in Belltown (an area near Yuki's Diffusions Hair Salon) where they have a separate room where the elite meet "to avoid...you". Ironically, the cool people mentioned to have been allowed in this room are not Seattleites--Derek Jeter and the Rock for instance. Bill Maher, also not from here, evidently did not have a very good time there because the women he hit on brushed him off. I really like the statement, "Of course, the culture of Seattle is against this elitist idea of having a VIP room. Regardless, it still exists." Evidently, it is frequented mostly by professional athletes "--particularly during baseball season--". I wonder if our own Olympic gold medalist, short track speedskater, Apolo Ohno, has been there on his visits home. In my book, he is heads above most athletes when it comes to class. He deserves more than anyone to be allowed in such a place but I wonder if he'd "fit" in.