<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Wow, I am still feeling on a high from spotting those orcas and by reporting it to my network, people over on Whidbey followed up and had a chance to see them as they traveled north. They are such magnificent creatures; I can completely understand how the Native Americans living here in the coastal areas revere these mammals and give them spiritual qualities. They are so black and so white and they move through the grayish water with complete ownership. I will admit I cried when I saw them and steamed up the binoculars to my great dismay.

Our weather has returned to normal--40's and a chance of rain. It is drizzley with fog in places and I love it. Whenever we return from a trip from someplace usually drier or sunnier (most recently from Calgary), as soon as the plane lands I feel that comfort. My skin feels moist again; it is easier to breathe in the moist cool air and the dried nasal passages disappear. You look around and you see the damp green trees and water everywhere and you just want to smile. Yesterday, as I walked Apolo, I looked up at our weeping gray sky and watched a blue heron fly toward the beach. Yep--made me smile!!