<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, February 16, 2004

It is pouring rain today so I think I'll talk about GLASS.

Glass is a Seattle thing and a Venice thing. We have Dale Chihuly and he creates the most incredible glass sculptures. His chandelier can be seen at Benaroya Hall in downtown and many of his works can be viewed in the most unlikely places. We saw some in a small glass shop in Leavenworth, WA. In fact, some friends of ours bought a Chihuly piece there. We don't own anything made by him because it is a little out of our price range but our friends think it will be a good investment. I do remember how freaked out they were when we were hit with a 6.8 earthquake three years ago. They were not home at the time but their Chihuly survived just fine in its display case.

Another place I saw a Chihuly on display was here in Mukilteo at our new little artist's studio in an old meat warehouse on our waterfront. Glass artists create beautiful objects there, too. I think we like glass art here because it is bright and shiny and it reminds us of the sun. Everybody I know collects at least some glass art; I have several pieces and mine do not have to be in special display cases because they are not Chihuly but I think they are just as beautiful!!