<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

This is one of those OMG days as you look out over the water. The Olympics have the sun reflecting off of them and the water is pale blue and still. Wow!

But today I write about ugliness--racism. One of the State Senators from Yakima let an unbelievable statement slip out this week during an argument with another Senator. Both men are white. He said "you are acting like a n#$%^& in a woodpile!" A lot of people are calling for his resignation as they should be. Someone who would utter such words is not entitled to represent anybody. This man is of my parents' generation (aged 70-80) and I have heard all of the excuses (that is just the way it was; "things" were acceptable; things were different in those days; he really meant snake in the grass;it doesn't mean anything; he's not really a racist) No excuses exist, period!!!! If he was willing to use these horrific words loaded with hurtful images, he is a racist. Apologies won't do.

My junior high and high school days took place during the Civil Rights upheaval in the 60's. Helena, Montana was isolated from the huge movements and violence taking place across the country. We didn't even hear a lot about it because our little newspaper was inadequate and we only had one channel on the TV. Needless to say, Helena wasn't a diverse community but we were not isolated from bigotry. Helena had a recognizable Chinese population. Originally, they came as practically slaves (they probably were--I cannot trust what I have been told anymore) to work during the gold rush days in the 1860's. I know they were not treated well and they lived separately for many years but again this history gets whitewashed. Anyway, by the 1960's, the families were assimilated and successful in our community. The kids were the best and the brightest in our schools and there were no problems. Or so I thought.

One of my best friends through junior high and high school was Mike. He was brilliant and good looking. He wanted to become a journalist. He was Chinese and his parents owned one of the most successful restaurants in Helena. They were downtown business owners and the family had roots in Montana older than mine. Mike received many awards in school because he was a terrific student and leader. One particular award from a local civic group we were to receive together. There was to be an awards luncheon at the Montana Club. The Montana Club was a private organization of local business owners. My boyfriend's father was a member. My family didn't go for that sort of "thing" so I didn't know much about the club except that it was hoity toity and really cool inside.

Mike rode his bike across town to my house and privately asked me if I would pick up his award for him. "Of course, why can't you go?"

"Ah, my parents have never been allowed...Ah..."

"Oh, OH!!....... Oh, man."

I don't remember the luncheon--but I will never forget my complete and total disbelief and astonishment at that moment. The outrageousness of it!! What I saw on TV was here, too. There were no excuses and apologies were not acceptable--not then; and not now.