<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, April 26, 2004

Lunch Time Vacation

I had a couple of appointments at the University of Washington today so I met my husband for lunch. The UW is located on Lake Washington and it curves around and is bordered by the Montlake Cut and Portage Bay. Those bodies of water lead into Lake Union which leads to the locks and out to Puget Sound. Portage Bay has a lot of boat traffic going between the bodies of water and it is lined with houseboats. This is our favorite place to watch the Christmas ships but it is equally wonderful on a sunny warm day like today.

We stepped into a Mexican food place right on Portage Bay where we watched yachts float by. After lunch, we walked along the water behind the UW Health Sciences and Hospital. UW Fisheries has a salmon hatchery that is fun to see. Unfortunately, today, there was a net over the pond and a male mallard duck was unable to fly away. His female partner was waddling along the edge quacking at him, "How did you get your sorry self stuck under there?", or something like that.

Since my husband is a professor there (though he has nothing to do with Fisheries), I made him lift the net in an attempt to reunite our ducky couple. Mr. Duck was too afraid of my husband to make his break for freedom. I stood there sadly thinking about Mr. and Mrs. Duck's unlucky separation while my husband continued our pleasant walk. "Come on, I have to get back to my office. The Fisheries students will take care of it, I promise!" I felt like making some retort about that fact it was the male of the species that got HIMself stuck under that net but decided against it.

Our lunchtime had otherwise been so lovely.