<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 01, 2004

Passion for Justice: Part 2

My last major post reminded me of a situation in Seattle a few years ago that amused me--it was sooo Seattle. This is the story of Obachine.

Obachine is the restaurant where a group of my friends and me saw Bill Gates. We were waiting for a table; the place was new and crowded. We were an investment club and I, as VP, was responsible for our educational speakers. As Bill Gates crowded by all of us, I announced to them, "Ladies, our next speaker!" Maybe you had to be there but it was hysterical.

Obachine is no longer. Wolfgang Puck has a restaurant in Seattle and his wife decided she wanted one here, too, so she opened Obachine several years ago. It was all decorated in the latest upscale design and colors; the food was very expensive and in small trendy portions. Wolfgang's wife thought Seattle was cool and trendy and she was all excited about her new restaurant. My group decided to try it and so did Bill, I guess and so did a lot of Seattleites. Somebody noticed that as a part of her decor, she included a vintage poster depicting a Chinese man. Unfortunately for Wolfgang's wife, it was a stereotypical and racist image in the poster. Also unfortunately for Wolfgang's wife, she refused to take down the poster when the racist nature of it was quietly pointed out to her. You know, you just don't do that here.

Seattle did what Seattle does best. People wrote letters. The rather significant Asian community spoke out and people took to the streets and picketed the brand new trendy restaurant in downtown Seattle. News crews appeared. However, Wolfgang's wife refused to see the error of her ways. She thought the expensive poster was beautiful. Business dropped off and Wolfgang's wife decided that Seattle was just a terrible place so she shut her doors, packed up her things and left town in a huff never to return. I'm not sure Wolfgang has ever been back either though his restaurant still survives.