<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 08, 2004

WORDS

I just felt the need to write down some words. My grandparents came to this country from England after the turn of the century when they were young adults. As I have stated before on this blog, they ended up in the wilderness of this state not far from where I live now. They were pioneers and eventually left the rigors of snow and hardship up on Stevens Pass and settled in Montana. My grandfather's brother stayed here and died alone and as a hermit in a cabin over on Whidbey Island which we can see from every room of our house.

Since my father had very English parents, his speech was influenced and now and then I remember the words he used. Of course, they have escaped my usage:

1. flannel (washcloth)
2. tea towel (dishcloth)
3. basin (sink)
4. tin (pie plate or cake pan)
5. icing (frosting on a cake)
6. davenport (sofa)
7. supper (dinner)
8. front room (living room)
9. spuds (potatoes)

I am sure there are more but this is what I remember now; I never questioned the use of these words and always understood but I tended to copy my friends and my Mom.