<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 24, 2004

Local Businesses Go National

After a visit to REI yesterday, I realized that many of our local businesses have expanded beyond our borders. Sometimes when that happens, some of the local flavor is lost. We all know the story of Starbuck's and finding one next to Canterbury Cathedral in England bothered me but here is my list:

1. REI "Recreational Equipment, Inc." Actually, I am not sure how widespread this has become but I know there is one in Missoula, MT. I remember when they first started on Capital Hill in Seattle in an old wooden warehouse with crooked floors. All of our camping and equipment needs were met there and after five years in Kansas City with no such place, it was like a candy stoe to us. Now they have a beautiful flagship store downtown with a climbing rock and branches in the suburbs.

2. Costco We cannot live without Costco. I love their dark roast locally roasted coffee beans and you cannot beat the price. My husband buys all of his clothes there much to my daughter's horror but so do all the University professors.

3. Nordstrom They used to have a little store downtown but they took over the old beautiful Frederick and Nelson department store building and made it into an upscale flagship. F&N was my favorite, though, and sadly, it is out of business now. It was THE destination at Christmas time for Santa visits and photos when my kids were little. They had fabulous window displays and Frangos. The Bon and Nordstom are trying to fill the void but it is just not the same. Sorry, Nordstrom.

4. Eddie Bauer What can I say--their clothes have room for my rear end.