<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 03, 2004

Strangeness

Earthquakes have shaken me and I heard Mt. St. Helens erupt and experienced her ash in the weeks following. Last night (or early this morning) a booming explosion woke me up.

"What the hell was that?? Are we having an earthquake??", I pronounced.

My husband woke up in time to hear the roar and he responded, "I hear it but our bed isn't shaking so it's not an earthquake." His snoring promptly began again. I looked at the clock and it said 2:46; I had a little trouble falling back to sleep waiting for an aftershock. True, our four poster bed really rattles in an earthquake and everything was still. Eventually, sleep returned though I dreamt we were having an earthquake and my Apolo puppy was terribly frightened.

At 5:30, I got up and went through my usual routine of stepping outside to pick up my three newspapers. Everything was calm and gorgeous, the water blue, like nothing. How strange. Apolo greeted me with his cute morning hugs; he seemed OK. I turned on King5, my morning station, because I like Joyce Taylor and Allen Schauffler and sure enough, BREAKING NEWS!

The entire Puget Sound area (from Canada to Tacoma) was lit up by a brilliant flash of light with a boom at---2:45 AM. Scientists believe it was a giant meteor or perhaps space junk. I got a kick out of a couple of guys interviewed on TV who saw it obviously after an evening of drinking and gambling. They were scared shitless. Something tells me AA meetings and gamblers anon may have a larger attendance this week. And we made the national news.

Now I can add "experienced meteor" to my list of natural phenomena that have shaken me.