<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, September 25, 2004

A Little This and A Little That

1. "Busker"! Before last weekend, I had never heard the word before. I have lived in Seattle for 25 years and I'm ashamed this was a new term for me. Busker means street performer and to celebrate 30 years of freedom for buskers on Seattle streets, Pike Place Market had a Busker Festival last weekend. Busker--I love saying my new word.

2. "Bumbershoot"! Technically, this means umbrella but to any Seattleite who carries no umbrella, the word means music fair on Labor Day weekend. It is such a huge deal especially to music oriented teens and young adults, that my son brought a carload of kids home from college just to attend "Bumbershoot". Bumbershoot--I love saying bumbershoot and it is not bumper-shoot!

3. "Kinnikinnick"! This is my favorite word and I guess it is Native American so I can't say it is my favorite word in the English language. Nevertheless, it is my favorite word. Kinnikinnick is a low growing shrub in the forest--like a ground cover--and at Christmas time in Montana when we would head into the mountains to cut our Christmas tree, my Mom would gather kinnikinnick to decorate our house. It is evergreen and it gets red berries in the winter. Around here, you can buy it in nurseries to plant as a ground cover. Kinnikinnick--I love saying the word and it brings fond memories to mind.

4. "Kalakala"! Oh my, here we go again with the Kalakala stories. The poor old dilapidated ferry was moved out of Seattle to Neah Bay amidst much fanfare months ago. I thought we were going to have it come to Everett for restoration eventually. But, the Makah Tribe has chased it away from Neah Bay and it is now heading for Tacoma. Kalakala--I love saying the word Kalakala and evidently the word will be in Seattle's vocabulary for some time to come.