<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 27, 2004

"Typical" Pacific Northwest Weekend

1. Friday Night: We went to our monthly wine-tasting with our wine friends in Seattle most of whom were at the UW or are now at the UW or would like to be. Most are scientists so for some reason we all have smart kids who cannot seem to get dates for homecoming. I tried to work something out for my daughter with a couple of these guys' sons but my daughter was a little skeptical. It is always fun hearing a detailed scientific explanation that takes 10 minutes for why I turn pink-faced when I sample wine.

2. Saturday: Dave drove to Yakima to pick up his grapes for his wine-making club which is different than the wine-tasting group though it is mostly the same people. These UW scientists just love using their considerable chemistry talents for concocting the drink of the gods. They do a darn good job and are mildly in competition with the Boeing engineers who also do a darn good job.

The very vineyard in Yakima where Dave gets his grapes! See Mt. Rainier (the backside)?
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Dave and his scientist buddy excited about their literal ton of Merlot grapes
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Kaley and I went to Edmonds to peruse the wonderful travel library at Rick Steve's Europe Through the Back Door store and resource center. We are beginning to plan our trip for her high school graduation present and are thinking about Spain and Portugal especially since the wines we tasted on Friday night were Spanish and Portuguese. On a beautiful day, Edmonds is fun to browse and get a coffee. It is also a ferry town but in my opinion they did a much better job with managing the kind of town they became than Mukilteo has done.

Edmonds last Christmas (Dave had the digital in Yakima)
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3. Saturday Night: We pulled salmon out of our freezer that Dave and Lucas caught in Alaska last summer and cooked it on the BBQ. It was just too good and Dave was home from Yakima in time to cook it because nobody--NOBODY--not even in restaurants can cook salmon like my husband.

4. Sunday Morning: Our yearly welcome back salmon BBQ was held at our church. Every year a member of our church who happens to be a salmon fisherman/distributor donates fabulous sockeye, king and halibut for our September party. The men cook and yes, I volunteered my husband because NOBODY cooks salmon like he does. And as they cook, they sip and sample Washington wine including my husband's wine club wine. One guy brought a $50 bottle of wine and the samplers thought my hubby's was right up there. Also, I had a fabulous discussion with this woman at my church whose husband is a tug boat crew member; I was just saying the other day when a tug boat pulled a log jam by my house that I wondered what kind of job that would be and now I know. And no, we do not mind eating salmon two days in a row.

Tug Boat pulling log jam (whoops--missed the tug)
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

5. Sunday Night: Last evening we drove the lovely drive into downtown Seattle--and I've got to get a digital shot of my favorite view but I forgot the camera--to attend a short seminar on Northwestern University with Kaley. So Yano and Susan in Ill, she is still interested in coming to Chicago (as well as UBC) but we know it is really tough to get into! We topped off our lovely Pacific Northwest weekend with dinner at Wild Ginger which is one of the best hip Asian resaurants in Seattle. And Dave had a little too much wine at the church picnic so I was the only one to sip--a lovely Washington Syrah.