<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, October 18, 2004

High Society--Seattle Style, Part 2

More on Bill Gates
I had so much fun on Friday night at the Gala that I want to record every moment. So, I thought I'd add a few things to my account of the event which is posted below. First of all, we really like the new president of the University. He grew up here and so did his wife. Moreover, he graduated from the UW and after time at a university in Connecticut and president of a university in Lousiana, he desperately wanted to come back to Seattle. Everyone in the audience understood why. Nobody wants to leave and if they do, they want to come back.

Bill Gates, the son, reiterated this sentiment. He attended Harvard but dropped out to start this small business with his best friend Paul Allen. Well, he told us he didn't really "drop out"; he took a "leave of absence" and he is still taking his leave. The new president chided him by offering a non-traditional student degree program at UW.

When choosing a location for their new little business, they wanted to live and work in a beautiful city where they would have access to a top-notch university and they wanted to come home. As a result, Seattle was a no-brainer; Microsoft has many wonderful collaborations with UW. In addition, the UW now is the fortunate beneficiary of the generosity of both Paul Allen and Bill Gates. It is ironic that the UW banned these two guys when in high school from the computers after discovering they had been sneaking in. Laughter rocked the arena when Bill Gates explained that even after they were banned, they figured out a way to continue to have unfettered use of the UW computers!!

Dinner
I didn't mention the menu. Tom Douglass prepared syrah braised beef short ribs. The meat fell off the bone and it was delicious. Our table agreed this was a risky dish to serve a Seattle crowd expecting salmon but frankly, it was a welcome change of pace. Pumpkin bread pudding was the dessert. Plenty of expensive Washington wines were poured and of course, coffee. Coffee was mentioned in some fashion in every speech given. Remarkably, even though 1200 people were in attendance, leftovers were willingly boxed up with fancy ribbons.

Table Company
Dave and I were seated together but he had an attractive woman with her husband to his right. He learned that they lived in a Victorian home overlooking Puget Sound in Port Townsend. Their kids were about the same age as ours and college choices were on the front burner. As I mentioned below, the man to my left was someone I should have known about but we, too, had lovely discussions about our children. He also mentioned how he collected Native American art from the Northwest and another of his friends was also an art collector. Bill Gates had been to both homes and commented that perhaps he should collect art but he didn't really need or want to because he has large computer screens with changing artwork.

Bathrooms
The banquet was held in a large sports facility but it had been carpeted and draped entirely with spectacular purple velvet drapes. It really looked like a palace. After the coffee, I was ready to explode so I followed a sign. Behind purple drapes was a row of Honey Buckets with a long line of people, some rich and some not. All I could think of was no matter how much money you have, you still pee like everybody else and you have to wait in line!

Schmoozing
Actually, my husband knew a lot of people there. I'm beginning to realize he is somebody! Both before and after dinner we walked around the room and Dave introduced me to many of his colleagues that I had not previously met. One man who Dave knows and his wife were dressed in kilts. Dave approached them and said, "Well, I guess you must be Scottish!"

His reply, "Astute observation, Dave! Do you think I'd wear a skirt if I wasn't?" Definitely, their outfits fit the definition of "festive attire" perfectly.

This evidently was the third annual Gala but the first time we'd been invited. I can't wait for next year.