<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, October 16, 2004

High Society--Seattle Style

Purple and gold are Husky colors. We went to a Gala last night to praise and benefit the University of Washington and it was spectacular. The first part was viewing research projects and booths and listening to Bill Gates II, Bill Gates III (Bill Gates, the father graduated both undergrad and law school at UW; Mary Gates, the mother, now deceased, also graduated undergrad and grad at UW), and the president of the University speak. I particularly liked Bill Gates III's story about how he never finished college but the UW, nevertheless, played a monumental role in his success. Evidently, when he was in high school, he and Paul Allen would sneak in to buildings and fiddle around on the computers. Bill found out that the computer in the Physics Department was running samples 20 hours a day. So, at three in the morning, he'd sneak out of his house and have a student let him in so he could use the otherwise "wasted" 4 hours of computer time. He said, "The University of Washington always held itself out to be a benefit to the community; well, I was a member of that community!"

Lots and lots of examples of UW successes were lauded and we had appearances ranging from an Athens Olympic rowing UW athlete to our most recent Nobel Prize winner as of two weeks ago. This part was free and held in a large arena with thousands of students, faculty, alums, and Seattleites. Seattle loves--just loves--her University. It was completely inspiring to stand and clap and cheer for....greatness.

Following this grand pep assembly, a Gala dinner was provided for a smaller group of 1200. A roped off, red carpet, of sorts, was our pathway to the dinner with photographers and everything. Nobody wanted to take a picture of Dave and me even though I looked HOT! I guess we are not famous enough. This group consisted of some really old people, some really rich people, former Governors, former Seattle mayors and faculty members. Invited guests were those members of the community who had donated in some manner to the University. One couple was invited because they cleaned out their basement and had the drama department take stacks and stacks of antique sheet music given to them by a dead Aunt before it molded. A characteristic that is so important in this city is that societal lines are non-existent and not important. I found myself last night before being seated for dinner near the stringed quartet because I wanted to watch. Not six inches from me was the richest man in the world and his wife pretty much doing the same thing; yet, we were there first. Melinda's outfit was similar to mine so I thought to myself--good call on my outfit. They were among friends and busy talking so we, with our Seattle politeness, did not interfere. I wish this morning we would have introduced ourselves. Oh well.

The tables were gorgeous with flowers and large candelabras and place cards with our individual names. The food was catered by Seattle's favorite chef (as chosen every year in the Best of Western Washington Awards), Tom Douglass. I was almost as excited to see him running, yes, running, past our table as I was at seeing Bill Gates III. Of course, I did commit a social gaffe, I must confess. I asked the man I was seated next to what his connection with the University was and he laughed and responded, "I donate lots and lots of money!" This morning after a little Google search, I discovered that I was probably the only person there last night who did not know who he was. Geez!! Oh well, he was sincerely nice to me and seemed genuinely to enjoy my company. He explained how ordinary Bill and Melinda really are. He and his wife have invited Bill and Melinda to their home on occasion. Never do they arrive with security or an entourage; they drive themselves in their own car.

Entertainment was provided by the UW symphony orchestra and part of the marching band. The MC was Rob Weller, former host of Entertainment Tonight, inventor of the "wave" and UW alum. After dinner and after everything, Huey Lewis and the News rocked the place and even some fragile old rich people were dancing. It was great! My husband is friends with the Dean of the Medical School so we stopped to chat with him and solved a mystery. Huey Lewis (which is not his real name) went to high school with the Dean of the UW Medical School. Ah ha!! So this is why his band performed. You know, Huey Lewis is damn HOT in person and the best part is, he is my age!

Seattle is the best.