<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, October 25, 2004

Two Simple Letters

I have always believed that an American history class in the western part of our nation could be taught in a simple way. Each student should be assigned to research family roots to find out how and why they live where they live. In Montana, Idaho or Washington, the family stories are particularly fascinating with major events causing westward movement. At times, people were actually running from something or people were simply looking for a better life. Every western family can point to someone with an incredible adventurous and brave spirit.

For example, I have mentioned a number of times on this blog my English grandparents immigration. My grandfather was the quintessential Washington pioneer seeking the American dream. He wanted land; he wanted to make money finding gold; he fur-trapped and helped work on the railroad that brought more and more settlers.

But we have more family stories. Kaley and I watched Cold Mountain with Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger over the weekend. The movie brought the horrors, the divisions, and the realities of the Civil War to life--most noteably, its effects on individual families. I told my daughter that the movie story could be our story so I dug out of my disorganized closet some old family letters--two simple letters-- that have been passed down over the years.

The first letter is from my husband's family through his father. He tends to be descended from educated New England blue blood with a direct line to William Brewster of Mayflower fame. Even so, members of his family moved west first to Ohio, then Illinois, then Kansas, Montana and now Washington. Parts of his family with supposedly British and German roots remain mysterious with no explanation for the dark skin, straight black hair and Mediterranean noses very evident today. But there is a letter from the Civil War. One of his relatives was a prominent Major General in the Union Army and he writes on July 30, 1862 from somewhere in Arkansas:

"The passing events bring many sad instances of sorrow and grief before me. At one place a large plantation was stripped and the wife of the rebel and his children feared actual starvation. The lady shut herself up in her room, no doubt grieved with the flight and probable loss of her husband to stand and witness her great plantation devastated; but a little girl's sweet voice pierced the heart of the commander when she said, 'General, can't I have a piece of beef for poor Ma when they kill one and won't you let me have some of those crackers that the soldiers waste so.'

She was about the size and had the polish of my own dear little Caddie and I could have given all my effects to have known this war was only a dream--a mere 'rose-water affair' as some have called it.

Alas it is not so. God grant it may soon close. My march has shaken the social system of the country to its very foundation and the havoc of war has left thousands mourning behind me."

The second letter is from my family through my mother. My family was on the opposite side of the Civil War than my husband's family. My great-great grandfather was a cabinet maker and farmer in Missouri; they were not wealthy, not educated and had no slaves but their allegiance was to the Confederacy. In fact, they named one of their children Jefferson Davis and they were labeled "southern sympathizers". As a direct result of the Civil War and its havoc, my great-great grandfather packed up his family on a river boat and headed to Montana to homestead. He had received a little hand written note on June 25, 1862 that said:

"I deem it my duty to let you know that if you fail to report yourself to Capt. Litle or Didle in Cameron and take the oath and give bond for your loyalty to the government by Saturday next you will be shot where you are found. I see the officer and his troops today. They give me the liberty to notify as many Southern Sympathizers as I please. Report at Cameron."

Tragically, as they headed up river, their boat sank and they lost all possessions. Horribly, their six year old little boy named Jefferson Davis also died. Not to be detered, they pressed on and made it to Montana where my great-great grandfather claimed 200 acres in Boulder, Montana. He raised cattle and became a successful and respected rancher. Friends and family remained behind in Missouri and reported by letter, June 2, 1865 some of the after effects of the War:

"In hopes for better to come. Jackson has got home [from the War] and he looks very Bad. Nothing but skin and bones. But he has a good apetite to eat. The most trouble I guess is his bowels a running off....

...Times here is tolerable. Hard at this time to get provisions. Is very scarce and hard to get. It takes a Big Pile of greenbacks to buy a little. We have had a good deal of Bushwhacking in Ray and Clay Countys. There has bin ten or twelve men kild in the last ten days. Some of them there throats cut from ear to ear. One neck unjointed. They are Hard Harted dogs I believe or they could not do that....

...Would like to see you all..But there is no chance to come up. Not much money or I would come."

Two simple but powerful letters in one family--my family--reveal the possible plot of a movie. But it was not a movie. The stories were real life.