<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, November 12, 2004

Only In Seattle--More Election Fallout

1. First of all, we still do not have a Governor. The votes have not yet all been counted and it is basically a tie. The Republican is a tad ahead but it will by law go to a recount in all probability.

2. The Seattle Times discussed today the northward movement of those in our area who are completely disgusted with the outcome of the election. This is no laughing matter. People are serious. British Columbia is very welcoming; their economy is booming and according to this article, lots of employment opportunities will open up in order to put on the 2010 Winter Olympics.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002088994_gocanada12m.html

And a quote from one who is thinking seriously about leaving:

"Yakima resident Jack Radosevich, 60, said he's been considering a move to B.C. for some time and the election clinched it for him.
'I think the situation in Iraq could ultimately bring reoccurring terrorist attacks to the United States,' said Radosevich. 'Not only do I not want to be around for that, I want to be established in Canada should it eventually happen.' "

3. The Seattle PI also today had a large two page lay out that actually discussed and gave information on how to move to Canada and other countries. The article coins these people as "Bush refugees". Personally, I do not want to lose voters!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/199276_fleeingamerica12.html

Most people interviewed are not willing to give up their US citizenship but they want to devote their talents, skills, and money to a society more in line with their "values". Some quotes from those considering leaving:

a)"Life is too short to spend with people whose values you don't like or agree with," he wrote in an e-mail. "Bush has no interest in our values (abortion rights, gay marriage, affirmative action, less deficit spending, more fair, just and consistent foreign policy, effective environmental policies ...), so we would like to take our money, brains and hard work ethic where these issues are taken seriously."

b)"It's not motivated by wanting to escape the regime of George Bush," the database administrator said. "I could put up with four years of anything. But I guess I looked at this election as a referendum on integrity and tolerance and openness."
He fears the country will become a "narrow-minded, Christian dystopia." So the registered Libertarian took the online test for skilled migration and scored 73, higher than the 67 points it takes to be considered.
Like many, he is taking a wait-and-see stance. "I see myself as a citizen of the U.S. and a citizen of the rest of the world," said Atkinson, 35. "And this country just flipped a giant bird to the rest of the world."

c)"It started as kind of joking, like, if I need to get out of here, New Zealand seems like the place to go," said Mitchell, a music promoter who manages bands and runs a record label. "Yeah, they have a big ozone hole, but I'm nocturnal. They have great coffee, great food and a great music scene."

I understand the depth of feeling, believe me! But I love my country; I personally have taken an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States. I think our system of government with its intended checks and balances in three distinct branches is one of the coolest set-ups in all of history and I will stay here to fight to preserve it.