<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Disaster

I simply cannot wrap my brain around the horrendous earthquake/tsunami disaster that hit our precious earth. Last night when I went to bed, the news said 26,000 people have died. This morning I see the number is now 33,000--as if all of Mukilteo and part of Everett were wiped out in a moment. My dreams were hectic and anxiety ridden; this could happen here and we have been told this for years. Out on the Washington coast, there are little tsunami warning signs everywhere with a picture of a curled wave. We used to laugh at them. I am not laughing now. You see in 1700, it did happen here and it is a part of Indian lore. The University of Washington has studied the evidence which is visible to this day. Out on the coast, huge stands of dead trees remind us that 300 years is not that long of a time.

The Indians looked to the Orca for inspiration and spiritual guidance. I think it is no coincidence that yesterday while letting Apolo in from outside, a glance at the water revealed a large black dorsal fin--right there--a few hundred feet from my back door. This orca and a couple others swam south and my son and I watched while they ate chum salmon and played. Never have they been this close to my house. The last time I saw them was on Thanksgiving day. Thank you God for sending me the Orcas. Peace to all of the souls and especially the children taken by the tsunami. Peace.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Where the orcas played yesterday--photo taken the day before yesterday.