<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, February 14, 2005

How Do You Thank a Teacher?

In my opinion, there are three groups of people who I consider to be saints in our society:

1. Foster parents who take in special needs children
2. Nursing home attendants, particularly those who work with Alzheimer's patients
3. Teachers

These are the people who work for practically nothing and yet they do more to change peoples' lives and to care for the vulnerable than anybody. Nothing bothers me more than to see a football coach at the University get paid more than a million dollars a year and yet elementary school teachers barely make enough money to survive. Teachers have the hearts and minds of our children in their care; a good teacher has a profound effect on generations of kids--changing lives of entire families. Interestingly, in my post below, "My Daughter is a Diva!", I mentioned the positive influence an orchestra teacher had on my son, Lucas. Her name is Lois Beckman and we are not the only family who has benefited from her gifts.

Today, in the Everett Herald , Lois Beckman was featured and the article brought tears to my eyes because she sent my family in a direction I never would have dreamed. How do I thank a person like her for giving my son the gift of music? How do I thank her for helping my son to find a passion in life? How do I thank her for the friends my son has made because he plays the viola? How do I thank her for giving my son something to enjoy for his entire life? How do I thank her for all of the moments of pleasure I have had listening to my son's high school quartet; attending his Youth Symphony performances; and seeing him on the stage at Benaroya Hall? How do I thank her for that music scholarship?

Lois Beckman was the one who was out recruiting children for orchestra. In a little presentation 10 years ago, when Lucas was in the fourth grade, he heard the viola and he wanted to learn to play it because he enjoyed the sound it made--deeper and richer than a violin. He liked the cello, too, but he couldn't figure out how he would haul one around. After his first year with Ms. Beckman, Lucas won an Outstanding Orchestra Student award and he was hooked. The next year, the cool kids took up band instruments but little Lucas stuck with the instrument that made cool sounds and with a teacher he loved. Of course, we followed up with great private teachers, Joyce Bovey and eventually, Aviva Leonard. Midge Livingston was the wonderful middle school orchestra teacher. Fabulous and supportive Brian Steves pushed Lucas along for four years of high school. I have been so fortunate as a mother to have had these terrific people shaping my son into the wonderful young man he has become.

Lucas complains to me now that he is not a prodigy nor does he have a great talent. My response is, "so what?" He is not a music major because he has a number of other passions out of which he will make a career. But he loves to play in the orchestra where viola players are always in demand. What a gift to be able to be a part of something so incredible. At Christmas time, the communtity symphony orchestra in Missoula played back up to Michael Andrew. He is not wildly famous but it was exciting to Lucas nevertheless. Next month, with Lucas as third chair, the orchestra will play back up to Doc Severenson of Johnny Carson fame. When Lucas called to tell me this, he explained that some "trumpet guy named 'Doc' or something" was coming to Missoula. He had no idea who he was and was shocked beyond belief when I knew who he was talking about. I may just have to get myself to Missoula to watch.

Lois Beckman is receiving a state Golden Apple award for being one of our state's top educators. http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/05/02/14/100loc_teacher001.cfm How lucky and blessed I am that she was entirely responsible for Lucas's love of the viola. How lucky we are in this state to have Lois Beckman!

"She talks about molding the whole child, not just a statistically successful one.
'The arts are especially important because they help the entire child to develop, not just cognitively but emotionally as well, and kinetically, auditorily, and visually. And it teaches them how to get along with other children in group situations,' she said.
'All of those skills apply to all other subjects and help them become better students,' she said."

AMEN and THANK YOU, Ms. Beckman.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Lucas's quartet with Mitch, Beth and Cindy performing at UW School of Public Health Graduation

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Quartet performing at King FM Radio