<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Kaley is Off to New York with the Digital

My husband took our daughter to New York so that she can check out NYU. Actually, I think the main reason she wanted to go was so she could take in a Broadway Show or two. I told her to take the digital camera because I want pictures of Christo's gates in Central Park. Love his work or hate it, one has to admit that it is intriguing.

When we were in school in Kansas City, our favorite place to take Monty, our Golden Retriever was Loose Park. I remember that on one side, they had planted some Ponderosa-like pines. We used to walk among them and smell because it smelled like home. We were so homesick for Montana! Christo, for some odd reason, decided to wrap the sidewalks in Loose Park with bright yellow fabric. Now we were just kids from Montana and it was the weirdest thing I had ever seen in my life. We walked carefully on the fabric throughout the park with our dog and I will never forget it as long as I live--it was just so strange and beautiful.

Needless to say, after our sidewalk experience, I have paid attention to everything else Christo has done since. And it is all still weird but I am excited that Kaley will come home with actual photos of Central Park and I will post them here. Stay tuned.

Low and behold, with the magic of the internet and Google, I found information about Kansas City. It was 1978. The pictures in the link are black and white--man, I guess I am that old.

http://www.kcmo.org/timeline.nsf/web/19780090?opendocument