<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Was that Pennsylvania Ground Hog Correct??

Winter is still here so maybe that ground hog thing has some validity after all. Our thermometer this morning said 29.7 degrees and because of the moisture in the air, everything is covered with white frost. I remember one Christmas the frost was so thick that Lucas was actually able to go sledding on it in our front yard.

What is frightening to me--a person mortally afraid of slipperiness on roads--is that I had to take my daughter to school. The school is at about 500 feet above sea level and our house is at about 50 feet so I have to drive up an extremely steep three block hill. My brand new tires spun today and I fishtailed going up. Yikes! Black ice!! The problem is I have to drive back down unless I go to Starbucks in my sweats which are actually just covering up my pajamas and wait until 29.7 turns into 32.7. Fortunately, there is an alternate route which is slightly less steep but it has more twists and turns. Luckily, this way is more protected from the water and I had no problem driving home thus preventing a denial of service at Starbuck's for freakishness.

I have about ten minutes here to see if the school bus for the elementary school kids comes down that hill. If it does not drive past my house then the driver wisely chose the alternate route. Or on the other hand, the driver might decide to slide down the hill, shoot off the bluffs, and a giant yellow school bus will be bobbing in Puget Sound just off of Chennault Beach.

Frosty Day
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
photo taken at 7:30 AM