<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Deep Throat Revealed

How can it be that 32 years just flies by? Yes, my husband and I were married in the summer of 1973. Dave was a year ahead of me in college and I wanted to finish when he did so I crammed college into three years with extra credit loads and taking summer classes. We lived in married student housing at Montana State University in the summer of 1973; Dave worked at the Coca-cola plant and drove a delivery truck through the Gallatin Canyon and into Yellowstone Park.

I took a couple of classes and watched--mesmerized--the Watergate hearings on our little black and white TV on a small wooden stand that Dave had made. I was a Social Studies/Secondary Education/French major and minor but those hearings planted the seed for my eventual entry into law school. I just could not believe that the President of the United States had acted like a common and petty criminal. So now, to learn all of these years later about "THE" source is unbelievable.

1973--so long ago and yet completely vivid in my memory!! The following year, 1974, after we both finished college, we moved to Kansas City where Dave entered graduate school and I worked as a teacher's aide. On that same little TV, on a hot August night in 1974, in Kansas City, we watched Nixon tell the nation he was resigning because of a cover up of a second rate botched burglary. We had no furniture yet because we had just moved into the tiny apartment and I remember sitting on the floor and being stunned.

1979--we moved to Seattle into yet another small apartment near the University of Washington campus. I spent the summer attending a bar review course at the UW to prepare for the Washington Bar Exam. It was tough because I had spent three years learning mostly Kansas and Missouri law. Every gorgeous cool evening in a place where people actually wore sweaters in the summer, I rode my bike with my bar review notebook in my back pack to the campus. This was my first introduction to Seattle culture. Nobody but nobody would talk to me and I felt like such an outsider. It seemed like they all knew each other. And they talked politics and I soon learned I would fit in just fine in this city.

One evening, people were whispering and a guy told me a Watergate criminal was taking the bar review course--one of Nixon's men in the same room with all of us. Discreetly, he was pointed out ot me. No longer did I feel like the lone outsider in the group. He had had his license jerked away and had served time as a felon but he was hoping to practice law again in Seattle, his home. He needed to pass the Washington State Bar before he could have his right to practice law reinstated.

Yes, indeed. I took the bar review course with Egil "Bud" Krogh. I remember thinking that if I passed the Bar Exam, no way would I do anything to ever jeopardize my law license. I could not go through the grueling process ever again. Egil Krogh has been a successful Seattle attorney for 25 years.

And it is 2005 and the story never ends.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002294896_krogh01m.html