<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Snow Day Number 5

Mukilteo schools are cancelled today for the fifth time this academic year. Never ever since we have lived here has this happened. Lucas can only remember a maximum of three. Naturally, I cannot enjoy it because Lucas and the two remaining French students (two others successfully flew back to France over the weekend) are driving back to Missoula. At least he called me from Moses Lake and told me he made it over Snoqualmie Pass which was covered in a new layer of snow.

On Sunday, we drove Kaley to Walla Walla. The temperatures were frigid but we had bare and dry roads over and back. As of 5 PM last night when we drove over Snoqualmie, the pavement was bare and dry. Ten hours later we have a complete turn around. It was beautiful up there, however. I felt like we were driving through a glacier because the snow was piled so high on either side of the freeway that we could not see all of the highway signs. The steep rocky parts were completely covered with cascades of icicles. Some of the ice was so thick, it had turned blue. Of course, I did not have the camera.

Down here we did not have that much snow. The problem as always is the icy slippery roads combined with our steep hills. People from six blocks away from the school cannot get there because either their driveway is too steep or the street is an ice rink. So, school is called off. I took my camera on my walk today with hopes that I would find something representative of the day and I hit gold! Teen age boys with the day off were having a great time. I guarantee that these boys have probably only had a chance to build a snow man here at sea level four or five times in their lives so they took advantage. I complimented them on their work and took a picture.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Apolo had fun, too, rubbing his face in the snow!