<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Bumbalo

Twenty years ago yesterday I received one of my two greatest gifts in life. She came into this world at 3 in the afternoon on March 14, 1988. The day before Dave, Lucas, and a very pregnant me left Seattle to take a ferry ride to Whidbey Island and on the way back we ate at what was then Taylor's landing at the Mukilteo ferry dock. Little did we ever dream that day we would some day live there. I felt fine. I had just been to the doctor a couple of days before and my baby girl was not expected to fight her way out of me for another couple of weeks. But the doctor was wrong.

In the middle of the night, my water broke. We took Lucas to our friends' house as previously planned so Lucas understood what was happening. He remembers that he got his very first Happy Meal from McDonald's where we had never taken him before. He was more excited about chicken nuggets than his new baby sister. Actually, Lucas was an involved little sibling. We had taken him to Lamaze classes with us. At 2 1/2, he learned how to take care of a baby and change a diaper. All of it gave him the sense that he was the third parent which I admit all of these years later has sometimes been an issue. Lucas still thinks he can render unsolicited advice to his headstrong sister.

At Swedish Hospital in Seattle, my labor and delivery proceeded almost exactly like giving birth to Lucas---so much so that in my mind, I confuse the two. Water breaks. I have no contractions---nada. So, they start me on pitocin. Pitocin brings on contractions like a freight train both relentless and strong. Doctor says the baby will be born in a few short hours and HELLO. New baby. I had no epidural nor did I even take a tylenol. Both times, the experience was extremely painful and not something I wanted to ever do again.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Baby ?, March 14, 1988

We had wanted to name her Calley but unfortunately, she was born on the 20th anniverary of the My Lai massacre in Viet Nam for which Lt. Calley was deemed responsible. All of this was in the news and suddenly, the name Calley did not seem so sweet. Kaley was another option but we could not decide how to spell it. Cali, Caleigh, Kali, Kayleigh, Kaylee, Calee. The hospital people finally suggested it would be a good idea to DECIDE. "Kaley" it became. Simple and straight forward.

Lucas didn't care. The minute he touched her head, he called her "Bumbalo." Lucas, my linguist even at age 2, used language to describe what he was seeing and feeling unlike other children his age.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Bumbalo

Luckily, Kaley's spring break has allowed her to be home on her birthday. This is a lovely treat for her parents.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Bumbalo today at age 20.

I just cannot get over that it was 20 years ago. Happy Birthday, Baby!