<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

We Have Returned!

As many of you know, my son Lucas is teaching English as a second language to students in Melipilla, Chile. Lucas wanted us to visit him and learn about his adventure so we did. I have written before about how I am a reluctant traveler and I do not like to be outside of a specific comfort zone. To be honest, I was a little nervous about going to Chile. I was not sure what to expect. But every time we take a trip, I learn more about the world and my family's place in it. Always, I come home with the thought that Americans are ignorant. I also feel guilty because so much of the world is poor and we of all people on the earth are in a position to do something about it.

My comfort level was tested a bit and I will write about it---but it makes me mad at myself because of how 95% of the children in the world live. I am proud of my son for teaching me and I am proud of my son for teaching those who need to be taught. Chile is a beautiful country and I am so glad we had the opportunity to see a small part of it. It is long and skinny. From the top to the bottom of Chile is about the same as Alaska down to Cabo san Lucas. We were only in the mid section spending our time between Santiago and the coast because Melipilla is in between.

Being that Chile is in the Southern Hemisphere, it was fall there. Leaves were falling from the trees. Darkness came at about 5:30 PM and the weather had turned rainy and cold. It was weird today to return to Seattle and all of the spring blossoms. And at 8:13 PM---it is still very light outside. I will begin with two photos. The first is from the beginning of our trip and our visit to San Antonio on the coast and the second is from our last day together in Santiago.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
San Antonio, Chile on the coast.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Downtown Santiago, Chile

More later!