<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, October 31, 2008

Horrible

Yesterday, on the news I heard that a man had committed suicide by setting himself on fire on the UW campus. I was sorry and horrified. I did not assume Dave would necessarily even know about it because the campus is large and he has two offices.

But last night when he arrived home, he explained that he witnessed the tragedy along with many students. Dave was in his upper campus office when the fire alarm went off. The building was evacuated. He believes now that a person was retrieving a fire extinguisher and set off the alarm in the process. He noticed some smoke and people gathering. Unfortunately, he came upon the man on the ground after the flames were out. According to the newspaper, young students acted heroically to save the man's life but the gasoline fire was too instense. The man was still alive and mumbling when Dave saw him. The UW police were trying to help him and make him comfortable until aid cars arrived. He died after being taken to the hospital.

The person was a 61 year old man who had been an employee at the University. This is all we know currently. What I find so hard to understand is why someone would take their own life away. Here I am fighting every single day for my own life and I just do not get it. I feel so deeply saddened for this man and his family. My prayers go out for the people who loved and knew this man.

Here is the link to the story:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/385728_fire31.html