<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, October 04, 2008

My Sanctuary

The eagles had not been around lately. I suppose they headed for better fishing spots but yesterday, I saw one of my protectors. He landed magestically on top of one of the big doug firs on the bluffs. I watched him for a while with the binoculars. Also, I received notice from my Orca Sighting Network that the J, K, and L pods had swung down here from the San Juans. They were seen near Kingston across from Edmonds just a couple of days ago. Though, we can see Kingston from our house, it would have been too far out for me to have noticed them but it is comforting to know they are there. My eyes are now more focused on the water in case I spot our local orcas closer to me. This morning, a tug boat putted by pulling a seal cruise of lashed together logs. With my binoculars, I enjoyed seeing the harbor seals having a relaxing time of it.

My favorite book has been "Praying Through Cancer" by Susan Sorensen and Laura Geist. Both women are cancer survivors and they put together stories of other women with cancer along with Bible verses and prayers. The stories and the prayers speak directly to me and I am so grateful to my dear friend, Cathy, who gave me this devotional book. My favorite was submitted by Diane Lankford on pages 82 and 83. She was diagnosed with late stage ovarian cancer three years after they bought a new house. The new house had a screened in porch which was her only request in a new house. In her words, "The porch became my recovery room as well as my sanctuary where I could sit, worship, reflect and meditate on God's wonderful creation." Seven years later, she still survives and enjoys her porch. Needless to say, I feel the exact same way about our house which we first looked at 6 years ago this month. My home, my bedroom, my bathroom, my decks and my back yard are my sanctuary. I am surrounded by nature, trees, the beach, and even a touch of wilderness in the form of Big Gulch behind our back fence.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Taken this breezy morning in my back yard. Apolo doesn't like the wind.

Here is Diane's prayer which has become mine:

Heavenly Father, thank You so much for creating this wonderful world for me to live in. Thank you for sending the birds to sing, the trees that grow tall and point to the heavens, the beautiful blue skies, and even the gray and rainy days. These are gifts from You. All I have to do is receive and enjoy them.

Open my eyes, Lord, in days when I am too weak to care. Help me see Your wondrous works in all the nature around me. Help me also release my worries to You because You ask me, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" I know from the Bible that all of my days were numbered even before I was born. It is up to me to make the most of every day You give.

Thank you for the "sanctuaries" where I am able to enjoy the gifts that are given by You, my Creator. Amen.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
My Sanctuary.

Update: I forgot to add that I saw a completely flattened dead garter snake in the road on my walk the day before yesterday not far from where Apolo did his thing on a snake. Wonder if it was the same one?! Well, I guess his number was up. He may have survived Apolo but not the Fed Ex!